Search This Blog

Sunday 28 September 2014

Book Review: Stay With Me, by J Lynn

So as i'm sat here in my bedroom, watching Scrubs series 1, I thought I'd do a review on, wait for it...

Stay With Me, by J Lynn,


Finally!! I finally read it!!! 

Here's the blurb:
At 21, Calla hasn’t done a lot of things. She’s never been kissed, never seen the ocean, never gone to an amusement park. But growing up, she witnessed some things no child ever should. She still carries the physical and emotional scars of living with a strung-out mother, Mona—secrets she keeps from everyone, including her close circle of college friends.

But the safe cocoon Calla has carefully built is shattered when she discovers her mom has stolen her college money and run up a huge credit card debt in her name. Now, Calla has to go back to the small town she thought she'd left behind and clean up her mom’s mess again. Of course, when she arrives at her mother’s bar, Mona is nowhere to be found. Instead, six feet of hotness named Jackson James is pouring drinks and keeping the place humming.

Sexy and intense, Jax is in Calla’s business from the moment they meet, giving her a job and helping her search for Mona. And the way he looks at her makes it clear he wants to get horizontal . . . and maybe something more. Before Calla can let him get close, though, she’s got to deal with the pain of the past—and some very bad guys out to mess her up if she doesn’t give them her mom.



As I predicted I loved it!
It was the typical plot structure, troubled main character fighting their inner demons to be with their soul mate. Lovely stuff.
What's crazy about this book is that I honestly think it could have been a spin off of the series because I didn't feel like it was the same series as the other books. I guess its because the novel is in the college but back in Calla's (main characters) hometown and that's where she falls in love. He's a bit older and has never been to college so he had different life experiences, therefore it felt like  more mature book compared to the other. That doesn't mean I didn't love it, because I did.

I really want Katie's story. She was so funny. I can't wait to see how Jennifer writes that one.

I don't know how she's going to get a full novel out of Roxy though, it seems like half the novel has already happened and we missed it. I don't know, I'll just have to wait and see.

The best part for me was a surprise guest appearance from another couple... SPOILER ALERT, it's Kyler and Sydney. I was so shocked when they showed up at the bar. Squealing didn't even cut it.

I loved the character of Calla. Out of all the girls throughout the series I think she's my favourite, with Avery being a close second. Although I might change my mind again soon. Calla has had all this terrible stuff happen to her in the past and she outwardly wears the consequences of others' actions. That is such a burden. She can never forget her past because it's always there every time she looks in the mirror. But what I love about her is that she doesn't tell us that she's brave or that she's strong and how proud we should be of her. She's oblivious to it, she doesn't see it in herself but she proves it with her actions throughout. That's what makes her a great character. 

And Jax fits her completely. He accepts her in every way and proves to her with his confidence in his feelings for her that she can be herself and that she doesn't have to hide from everyone. The only time he really annoyed me was the whole Aimee thing because really? It doesn't matter about jealously. If a girl is like that with you, you shut her down if you're sort of with someone else.

Honestly it was a good read. It was just a standard romance novel this time, there was also crime, thriller and higher risks than ever before.

I can't wait for the next one.

I'm giving this:
5 Stars.

Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe.

xoxo
Rebecca.

J Lynn's page: Here
Goodreads: Here
Amazon: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment